It has been awhile since I last posted anything. Sorry, life sort of gets in the way of things. . . so does the weather. Hot, cold, hot, cold....it is as though mother nature herself has empathy for that dreaded time in a womens life - - peri-menopause. Peri - nope, should be something much more descriptive and noxious I assure you. My partner is cold, I'm hot, partner is hot, I'm cold. Turn on the air conditioning! He replies, "honey, it is 70 degrees outside, don't you think it is a little too soon to....." By this time I am standing in front of him, drenched from head to toe in sweat. He leans over, turns on the air to 65 and puts on another sweater, coat, or pair of socks in order to survive this juncture. In my defense, I keep him in hand knit socks of alpaca, cashmere and silk. And....alpaca vest, wool felted hand knit slippers (replaced yearly). What a considerate man, braving the cold both outside and inside the little house on Botsford Street!
See this plant? The one that is taking up most of the picture? It is a bleeding heart. It is suppose to be in a space that is sun to partial shade, it is supposed to be around 14-20 inches tall. It is not. It is not in the sun to partial shade, it is in full sun where it should not be thriving, it is nearly 3 1/2 feet tall and it takes over the entire corner dwarfing the dwarf gladiolas that I planted there 3 years ago. It is now encroaching on the persian daffodils as well! It dies back to nothing every winter and within the first month of spring - well it goes hog-wild in the garden bed. The only thing we can think of that would let it take off like this is that it is right next to the steps and the cool breeze beneath the risers is what is letting it grow out of control! Who knew?!

I have nieces and nephews, whom I adore immensely I should add - who are out there wearing clothing sewn by their Aunt. What a wonderful gesture on their part to actually LIKE my choices in color and form. I remember my mother, who is quite the accomplished seamstress, but who did not share my concern way back then for only using natural fibers. I, alas, was born into the age of the discovery of rayon and polyester - both of which, when worn next to my skin, produced the effects of peri-menopause. Hot, sticky, cold, clammy. YUK. My nieces and nephews will never have to wear those dreaded man-made fibers as long as I have cotton thread in my sewing machine! (Okay, a little too dramatic, but all the same, true.)

I LOVE having these miniature persons to sew for. First because I have a stockpile of fabrics from my Navy travels all over the world and because as an artist there are some things that one just cannot allow to remain on the shelves of fabric stores. The colors this year are extraordinary! The colors of the thirties - before the fall of cotton fabric and the designs of a simpler time all speak to me. I see pinafores and sun suits, hats - lots of hats for little ones and dresses for the in-between youngster and young lady. I love it. I have an addiction to color. There, I said it. Anyone who knows me is quite aware of the addiction - be it knitting, sewing, felting, painting or planning the summer flower garden. Having these four wonderful beings as relations is marvelous! I hope they always let me sew for them. (Thanks Colleen!)

Where was this blog going? Oh, yes. I'm back again, thought that I would share some of the "happenings" here at the little yellow house with you and yours.

First, the garden: what a joy to watch the birds bathe in the bird bath - even though I can't seem to get close enough to get a picture...

Well, before I sign off, I'll be taking pictures of my nieces and nephews when I go to Canada next week and I will post them. Until then, enjoy the summer!

Comments

Popular Posts