KETO has become second nature so I thought it was time to move on to Art!


Winter Storm

February 10 - 12th, 2019

Bremerton, Washington 


After living in Alaska for so many years, then 13 years in Michigan it was hard for me to understand the hoopla of this winter storm.  The snow fell in large lazy flakes, changing to a soft mist and a heavy wet snow that built cushions in the lawn and patio furniture chairs.  The soft grey of the clouds and the yearning for the fireplace wrapped around my shoulders like the handwoven blankets of years past.  It is hard to believe that so many - over 20 years have passed since the fireplace, the snow falling in record feet instead of inches and the warm cocoon of the loom by the window at my old gallery space.  But it has been that long - and longer still since I felt the winter pull to surround myself with the jewel-tone fabrics stored away because I could not part with them.  I thought the days of immersing myself daily in art were over.  Illness is a terrible thief of time.  One day you realize that it has been years, not months or days since you called the muse to visit. 

The hypnotizing fall of snow, the hour of the night and into morning when the world is still and the treasure uncovered in a small box sitting on the art supply shelf woke up a need to create.  Slow sewing is a moving meditation which allows the mind, body and spirit to be engaged completely in the moment.  The choice of fabrics in colors that are deep, autumn and winter tones.  Threads of silk and cotton, various weights and colors that harmonize with the fabric.  I am always reminded of Japanese robs - the ones that had dozens of thin silk layers beneath the outer garment - all in harmony with the colors of the season.  The subtle undertones and the forms of nature painted or dyed  in shibori making up the landscape of the kimono.  All of these put together create a sense of flow without calling attention of one over the other.  Alabama Chanin has several books out which celebrates the hand stitch in a more western way - both are endeared to my heart.  The simplicity of uniform stitches that become more and more even and regular, much like breathing becomes more centered and deep, as the project went on.  I started around 8 p.m. last night and sewed until the morning becoming more and more relaxed.  It was 5:30 a.m. when I finished.    

I have made these before - years ago, out of dupioni silk samples and linen left over from other sewing adventures.  They were decorated with beads, with baubles and with found objects as time went on.  I don't know which direction they will go this time, but I am enjoying the Wabi Sabi of it all.  For those who are unfamiliar with Wabi-Sabi it is  a way of living that focuses on finding the beauty within the imperfections of life and accepting with peace, the natural cycle of growth and decay.  At 64 and with heart failure and other challenges I wonder sometimes if the body is aware of its fragility and the coming end of it's cycle; there are times when I am caught unaware of the breathtaking beauty in the simplest of things - a sunset on the way home from a difficult medical appointment or the way that dawn becomes more than just a picture outside of the windows, but the sounds of birds before the sun rises, the opossum that takes its time walking along the top of the fence the way it freezes in motion until I look away, then moves forward.  The change in the light and the letting go of a sleepless night with the stillness of morning seeping into me.  I know it will be alright - I know there is more than what is here...


I have a grandson!!!!!!!  Born on January 12th, 2018 - a very strong day and a very strong little man.  Welcome into this world of possibilities Xavier Grayson Everett!



Boxes and Boxes and Boxes....
   I love boxes and even more than that I have a wonderful time making them for friends and family....  Tim's sister has moved from Washington state to Maine - she is experiencing her second winter there so we thought it would be nice to make a box with a map of Maine to keep found objects, letters, collections of photos and memories.  I hope that she likes it!

I have a friend from the 80's when I was stationed in Alaska.  We worked together at Klopenstein's and laughter as well as tears when the time came to say goodbye - she has since moved to Germany and as an collector I thought a handmade box covered with Japanese book papers and beautiful flying cranes a symbol of prosperity would be just the thing - off across the world it went!
The red scarf it heading out soon too - I found the pattern in Alabama Chanin's first book - again, a slow-stitch project what will keep someone very warm...


The snow is beginning to melt, the roads are clearing and the sky is more blue than gray, it has been a wonderful couple of days with the silence.  I will go back to the collection of shot cottons and embark on a new project or two.  You can find one of a kind pieces as my Etsy Store:  thefreckledfish

Comments

Popular Posts