Getting Ready for Cold Weather

Cold weather really brings out the best in me. The smell of fireplaces and wood stoves, the sound of the leaves rustling and dancing every time the wind sets them free - the color of the light that makes everything bask in alpenglow and of course the colors of the leaves that makes leaving Alaska a little easier to bear. The bird feeders take on a new population - those birds that were mere babies this summer now fly easily to the perches on the smaller feeders where before it was a hit or miss thing. The antics of first flight and the protective mothers and fathers are behind them now and a search for winter food spots becomes more crucial. I noticed that the Jays were pushing the pigeons that began frequenting late in the summer. Even the squirrels are having a run for their money -so to speak - in finding the cracked corn laid around the lilac tree. The view behind my computer screen changing with the season while time marches on.

With the cooler weather comes the urge to move from knitting and sewing to weaving. Blankets, shawls, scarves even an art weaving here and there with found objects and twigs in the back yard. I have 2 looms, one graciously lent back to me by friends it was gifted to - the Baby Wolf which is like driving a sleek and well tuned sports car. Then there is the Ashford student loom. While it is wider than the Baby Wolf by about8 inches - it is slow working with only 4 harness


and a lot of untangling of harness wires. Still, with both looms going I can easily succumb to art ideas while weaving utilitarian objects on the other.

EBay has supplied me with some luscious hand dyed baby alpaca sellers and like I think I mentioned before - LAE (Lifes' an Expedition) is by far the most colorful and rich textured of yarns I've found yet. So many colors - so little years left to use them all. But, I will try!

Comments

Popular Posts